Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Branching Out

I've decided to step out of my comfort zone and give blogging a go.  Why not?  All the cool kids are doing it!  Why should I blog?  What golden nuggets of information can I dole out that will make this world a brighter place?  Probably nothing.  But, by virtue of having 2 children on the Autism Spectrum, I am a rarity. 

According to the CDC:
Parents who have a child with an ASD have a 2%–18% chance of having a second child who is also affected.

So our family is already pretty darn awesome in our uniqueness.  Top that with our decision to homeschool this year and throws us off the charts.  What???  We decided to homeschool with TWO CHILDREN WHO HAVE SPECIAL NEEDS?  Are we crazy?  Nope!  I don't think so.  

My kids have been in public education since they were three.  They have been in PPCD (Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities) and transitioned into Elementary Special Education at Kindergarten.  They are now 7 and 8.  So that's 4 to 5 years of hearing about what they can't do, what goals they need to work on to be like everyone else, their deficiencies, their delays (fine motor, occupational, speech, and social, just to name a few), and most importantly, their differences.  Thankfully, we have never had anything but kind, caring teachers and professionals that love my kids and want what is best for them.  This is not going to be a "I hate public school" bash.  I don't blame them, and I am still friends with many of the boys teachers.  They are doing what they feel is the best.  The norm, the standard practice today.  

One day last year I woke up.  I decided that I wasn't going to look at my kids through IEP's, Service Plans, Therapy Options, or Social Stories.  I was going to see THEM.  Let them find their drummer.  Let them march their own beat, however measured or far away.  

This is our journey.  The good, the bad, the always slightly off-center.  My kids are more than labels.  I think their education, and lives, should be too.

I'll start us off with my favorite quotes.  It sums up our life, and I'm happy we take the road less traveled.


Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. It is not important that he should mature as soon as an apple tree or an oak. Should he turn his spring into summer? If the condition of things which we were made for is not yet, what were any reality which we can substitute? We will not be shipwrecked on a vain reality. Shall we with pains erect a heaven of blue glass over ourselves, though when it is done we shall be sure to gaze still at the true ethereal heaven far above, as if the former were not?

by Henry David Thoreau (July 12, 1817 – May 6, 1862)
from Walden: Or Life in the Woods, 1854




2 comments:

  1. I realize this post was from 3 years ago but I just found your blog tonight and decided to start from the beginning. I have a beautiful, loving 4 year old who has already been given far too many labels. My heart aches for him but I know homeschooling him will be the best option. It's not like homeschooling is new to us; I have home schooled our children for more than a decade. He loved being with the kids in preschool last year and I feel so bad for taking that away from him. However, his behavior is so unpredictable now, often of the angry outburst variety, that even his doctor advised me not to send him back to school.

    Anyway, I'm happy to have found your blog and I plan to read every post for ideas on how to make learning fun for him and a little less stressful for me. I have two other young children, and a teenager as well, so life is stressful enough!

    Thank you for sharing your lives with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind comment! Homeschooling has been the best decision we have ever made for our kids and our family. It's not always easy, but it's always worth it!! Good luck to you and your little guy as you start a new journey together! I slacked off from blogging for the last couple of years, but have started back with renewed vigor after realize how wonderful it is to look back and see how far we have come, and how much FUN we have together. My boys are my greatest gift, and I love that I am able to share how they are breaking boundaries and leaving labels behind! Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing about your future successes as well!! :)

    ReplyDelete